Blue Spring Ride (アオハライド) - 2014

2/01/2016 07:56:00 PM

With Valentine ’s Day rolling around I thought it would be cute to spend the next week reviewing an array of romance movies that you could spend your Valentine’s day watching (If you have nothing better to do like me). I am actually not too fond of the clichéd romance, and usually like a good physiological drama or mystery. But I put myself through the ringer watching as much shoujo adaptations and romantic comedies as I could bare to write my reviews on. If you’re like me and you don’t care too much for a sappy romance, then I am here to give the real on what movies you should sit down and watch on Valentine’s Day night.

Blue Spring Ride (2014) is one of the number of shoujo adaptations that were released this past year.  I’ve never read the manga and being familiar with the general format of shoujo manga’s, I will say that my expectations for this were pretty low. Usually, the female protagonist is simple-minded and weak-willed and she ends up liking a male protagonist who is stoic, cold, and cleverer than she is. I wish I could say this Blue Spring Ride was far from my expectations.
Ao Haru Ride, the manga the film is based off of

The plot line is simple enough, in middle school Futaba Yoshioka like a meek boy named Kou Tanaka. After inviting her to the summer festival he moves away unannounced and they lose contact with one another. In high school they both meet again, but Kou has changed his last name from Tanaka to Mabuchi and he is no longer the nice and gentle boy that Yoshioka remembers. 
Kou in the past


This movie fails for me in so many ways.  The big problem of this movie starts with Futaba Yoshioka’s (Tsubasa Honda) character. We don’t get to know much about her outside of Kou Mabuchi (Masahiro Higashide). It says a lot that I watched an hour of the movie before I realized I didn’t even know her name. I never learned anything about Yoshioka, nor did I witness any growth in her character.  She is flat and underdeveloped and you ultimately end up feeling no connection to her character. On top of that Tsubasa Honda, who played Futaba Yoshioka, sometimes spoke with this odd high pitched voice that irritated me to no end. I never understand why Mabuchi admired her so much because she never does anything very admirable. They are both just holding onto this childhood crush that they’ve had between one another. Even in the flashback scenes I never get the impression that they knew each other well enough for Yoshioka to have the authority to pry into Mabuchi’s life the way she does. Yoshioka keeps questioning why Manbuchi has changed, but what person doesn’t go through drastic changes from middle school to high school?  

Kou now
The film tries to build this progression in the relationship between both characters, but ultimately it just looks like a montage of scenes of different things that happened in the manga that resonated with the readers. The scenes don’t correlate into complete and cohesive storytelling, and in exchange I think some scenes that were ultimately vital to character development are lost. I stuck it out until the end, but a half an hour into it I couldn’t bear to see any more.
first time Yoshioka sees Kou
It felt like the movie was going through the motions, but it failed to pull at any heart strings. For me Higashide’s portrayal of stoic was robotic. Not for one second did I buy into the internal grief he was facing. I’ve seen him in Parasyte previously, (his role was smaller), and he was much better in that.  For the sake of time it seems that the subplots of their friends also got put on the back burner (Shuko, Aya, and Yuri). Their friendship is another things that comes off as forced by the end of the movie.

This movie is ultimately disappointing. I can predict that even if you have read the manga, it will not live up to expectations. I force my sister to watch it with me, and she wasn’t too impressed either. If you are a die-hard Shoujo fan then maybe you’d enjoy this, but even this is a stretch.

Let me know if you had watched Blue Spring Ride and what you thought about it!

I normally don’t rate films but to keep with the Valentine’s Day spirit I’m rating all the films I’ve reviewed this week by 5 hearts. By the end of the week I’ll have all the films in a ranking of which one’s I’d recommend you’d watch the most to the least for Valentine’s Day.

❤ 💔 💔 💔

You Might Also Like

0 comments