Our Times (我的少女時代) - 2015

1/20/2016 04:00:00 PM


I’m here to explain why you need to put Our Times on your ‘to watch list’ if you already haven’t. In a span of two hours I managed to smile, laugh, and cry. Our Time tells a nostalgic story of youth and first-love. It is a familiar formula from past Taiwanese film success You are the Apple of my Eye (2011),  but Our Times still manages to make a familiar story line enjoyable as well as their own. I myself am a 90's baby so I haven’t reached the period of nostalgia about my high school days, but even without that nostalgic element for me there is still a lot to love about this film. 


Our Times is told by the perspective of Truly Lin (Joe Chen), an office lady in her 30’s who is unsatisfied with her work and love life. Feeling down about the current state of her life Lin listens to an old cassette of an Andy Lau song. She starts to reminisce about her days back in high school when she had a crush on the most popular guy in school and she was an ordinary girl whose only concern was meeting her idol Andy Lau. This leads her to recall her first love.

The film flashes back to Truly Lin (Vivian Sung) during her High school days in the 90’s. One day she gets a chain letter in her desk informing her if she doesn’t pass it on, her life will be doomed. Naively, truly passes on the letter to the most feared gangster in school, Hsu Taiyu (Darren Wang). Unfortunate events ensue and Lin becomes an errand girl for Taiyu. From this point their friendship evolves and they find out that their respective crushes are in a secret relationship. Taiyu and Lin join forces and plot to break them up. Through the events of trying to break up their crushes relationship their own grown as they learn more about one another, until it turns into love. 




I have 3 solid reasons why you should give Our Times a chance if you are looking for a Taiwanese movie (or any movie for that matter) to watch.

1.  Darren Wang steals your heart

I was so impressed by the way Hsu Taiyu’s character evolves from the beginning of the movie to the end. Let me tell you, Darren Wang will surely take a place in your heart by the end too! Our Times did really well in the box offices of the Taiwan and has been getting attention by a global audience as well. This role is getting Mr. Wang a lot of attention and I am anticipating what he’ll do in  future roles.

The Chemistry between Vivan Sung and Hsu Taiyu is great as well. I don’t even think Joe Chen and Jerry Yan as the older version of Truly Lin and Hsu Taiyu are able to keep the chemistry that Vivan Sung and Hsu Taiyu had established as their younger character. I have previously reviewed a film with Vivan Sung where she played a somewhat similar character. I like that she was casted for the role of Lin Truly. The film at times does get a little campy, but her exaggerated acting of an clumsy extra-ordinary high school student never irritates you, and she still manages to keep this relatability in her character.  

Vivian Sung as Truly Lin


2. Nostalgia – Ode to Youth and growing up in the 90’s

What separates this movie from Your Are the Apple Of my eye is that the movie is told from the female perspective rather than male.  I could laugh along with Lin’s obsession with Andy Lau thinking of my own celebrity crushes I had in high school.  Remembering that popular boy in school who all the girls thought was so handsome, and being able to remember a time when you saw your future as limitless and bright. It’s not hard to relate to the Lin in her thirties whose memory of the past leads her to wonder when she lost sight of all her youthful dreams and aspirations.
Jo Chen as older Truly Lin

3. It pulls on all the right heartstrings

You come to root for the relationship that blossoms between Lin and Taiyu. The film is long at 2 hrs and 13 mins, but it went by for me like nothing. The last thirty minutes of the movie I cried like no one’s business, and that is unusual for me. The beginning of the movie starts out light and comedic, but by the end it turns pretty melodramatic.

Fei Fen (Dino Lee), isn’t given too much to do in this, as Lin’s high school crush, but every time the camera went into that slowed shot of Fei Fen entering a room I found myself getting a little giddy. The sun is all bright, Fei Fan won’t stop smiling, and I get a little enchanted. Honestly, nothing about the story line is very original and the film can get campy at times, but it works. I think the actors are a significant reason why the film resonates the way it does, they really bring these characters who are simply constructed like they came out of a shoujo manga (The clumsy extraordinary high school girl, the popular and handsome high school boy, and the high school gangster), and make them into relatable people that the audience becomes fond of.

Dino Lee as Ouyang Fei Fan

Add this film to your list of things to watch, and if you have already seen it share your thoughts in the comments!




You Might Also Like

0 comments