As the Gods Will (神さまの言うとおり) - 2014

8/19/2015 12:50:00 AM


Here is what I already knew before I made the decision to watch As the Gods Will (2014):

  •   Takashi Miike is the Director

In a span of almost 25 years he’s directed at least 90 works. It is said that 13 Assassins (2010) and Audition (1999) are his most notable over sea successes, but Crow Zero (2007) and One Missed Call (2003) are the films that usually come to mind when I think of the director. Then again, out of the select few works of his I have seen Crow Zero is my favorite.

  • Miike can get pretty gruesome.

Think of something along the realm of Kill Bill (2003). I’m not a fan of the unnecessarily gruesome (at all for that matter), but blood and gore does not encompass all of Mike’s work.  I would say Crow Zero is among milder films. But don’t take this as my saying As the Gods Will is one of his more tolerable films in the gory department. We barely get five minutes into the film before there is a pan across a girl in a high school uniform, behead, laying in a pool of her own blood.

  •  This is a manga adaptation

Manga to film adaptations aren’t anything special or new in the Japanese film industry. Takashi Miike has directed a number of manga adaptations prior to this film. Even if you didn’t know that it was a manga adaptation. From taking note of the way it was shot and edited it does feel at times that the frame was pulled straight from the pages of a manga.

 

  • Fukushi Sota is in it

Since last year he’s increasingly becoming one of the popular younger male actors to look out for in Japan. He’s mostly known for being a part of the Kamen Rider Franchise, but he has recently broke out into working on other films and dramas outside the franchise. I’ve been anticipating the day I watch him in something so I can judge how good he is for myself.

Maybe As the Gods Will wasn’t the best first impression to make though. The films reminds me of the child birthed by Battle Royale, Saw, and Kill Bill. As the Gods Will tells the story of the game of survival. Takahata Shun (Fukushi Shota) is an ordinary high school student whose life takes a turn when his teachers head explodes in the middle of class and a daruma doll (a traditional Japanese symbol of perseverance and good luck) emerges. Shun is forced to play a game of red light, green light with the class the daruma where if the daruma doll sees you move your head explodes into red marbles. Shun winning the games brings on an onset of other games he must win in order to keep from dying along with his friend Ichika (Hirona Yamazaki).

I will say that if you cannot get passed the on slaughter of teenage boys and girls, then this may not be the film for you. I did appreciate the use of graphic and editing in this film. The characters running the game, such as the daruma doll, blended into the scene with the actors pretty seamlessly. I believe, (more so in horror and thriller films), if CGI isn’t executed properly the film can become pretty cheesy and become outright comedy.

I will honestly say that I didn’t care very much for the film. I do understand way Miike has such a cult. Even as I was debating whether I should continue on with the film, I still couldn’t help but admire how well assembled the film was.  But not even Miike’s magic could save this film for me. The actors weren’t instrumental in making this film a gem either. Anyone could have played Takahata Shun. Nothing about Fukushi’s performance was memorable or even very moving. I also never really believed Takahata Shun grew to like Ichika as much as the film leads us on to believe.

 

Just seeing other people’s opinions of the film, it seems the message left an impression. By the survival of the students we left to question what’s leaves an individual best equip to survive and prosper in society. Does caring about other and sacrificing yourself for the wellbeing of another make you weak? I don’t want to spoil the ending I do want to touch on the idea that the film leaves you with. On one hand, Takahata is symbolic of self-sacrifice for the well-being of others, while Amaya’s character is selfish and does everything for personal gain. They are complete foils of one another, and both of their opposing ways of surviving in the game speak to the bigger picture of the way individuals view survival in everyday life.  The ending leads one to question which of the two opposing views on life leads to the more prosperous life, kind of like good versus evil.

While it is a pretty thoughtful message to leave behind, I just didn’t have the same thoughtful feelings after finishing this film. Maybe Action Thrillers just aren’t for me.

What did you think?




You Might Also Like

0 comments